Where is Svartisen located and what do I need to think about when hiking on a glacier?
Glacier hiking on Svartisen is carried out with experienced guides and we will provide all necessery gear for you to sefely explore the glacier of Svartisen. A Svartisen trip can be performed just fine as a day trip.
See map where Svartisen is located.
Read more on Svartisen: Link to article on Svartisen on Wikipedia
A visit to Svartisen is perfect for both groups and families
Groups and families with children can both do this trip just fine (recommended minimum age is 10 years).
Just remember to bring good walking gear, eg. thermal/wollen underwear, hiking boots, jacket and trousers suitable for hiking, sunscreen, sunglasses, hat and gloves that can withstand wind and rain.
Facts about the Svartisen trip - nice to know
- Easy-to-do trip that suits most people.
- Safety gear and guiding are included.
- Transport, personal clothing and food are not included.
- Good clothes and footwear for the trip is necessary.
- Food can be ordered, but can also be purchased at Brestua.
- If you need transport, we recommend a Rib trip. Otherwise, we can also arrange bus service.
- The Breen is 370 km2 and is only 20 meters above sea level.
- Characterized by special blue colors, hence the name Svartisen.
Did you know that the Svartispoppel is a flower found only at Svartisen?
Accommodation Svartisen - Brestua Svartisen and offers nearby
- "The Large cabin" and "The small cabin" offer a total of 8 beds. Cleaning and bed linen as well as towels are provided if required.
- Tents at Brestua. NOK 100, - per person.
- Engen farmhouse offers a total of 17 beds.
Svartisen boat service transports you over the Holandsfjord
If you´re traveling by bus or car, you take a boat from Holandsvika towards Svartisen and Brestua on the other side of the Holandsfjord.
The guide will meet you in Holandsvika.
The starting point is 10:00 unless otherwise agreed.
The season for glacier hiking stretches for mai-september. During the winther season the glacier is totally cowered with snow.
This trip takes approx. 6-8 hours from starting point Holandsvika, and approx. 12 hours if starting point is Bodø.